Plain-English editing and
helping you clarify your web and printed communications
- accreditation of your external documents with the Clear English Standard
- high-quality writing-skills courses for your staff
- distance-learning courses to improve every individual's writing skills
- accreditation of your website with the Clear English Standard (Winning Website) logo, and
- rapid, affordable editing of your internal and external documents.
We work for all kinds of organizations – government departments, financial services companies, registered social landlords, regulators, ombudsmen, local authorities, pension schemes, hospital trusts, utilities, telecom companies and international law firms. They like what we offer – a business-class service delivered by published authors and editors at a reasonable cost.
The company is personally managed by Martin Cutts, author of ‘Lucid Law’ and the ‘Oxford Guide to Plain English’.
You can sign up for Pikestaff, our occasional newsletter, free of charge through our ‘Publications’ page and download back issues there.
We support Clarity, the international body promoting plain legal language; and PLAIN (Plain Language Association INternational), a body of professionals who advocate clear public information.
Plain Language Commission is independent of the UK Government.
- Global look-out – enhanced language around
- Commons Speaker floats idea of dropping ‘honourable’ references but jargonauts fight back
- Plain-language conference presentations are now available
- Punctuation turn-off
- Pikestaff 70 is available now
- Unclear consumer contract spells trouble for local council
- ParkingEye’s unclear hospital signs rake in £70 penalties
- Plain English Campaign Ltd removes false guarantee claims
JottingsRevolving door of the last-chance saloon
- Invidious honours system open to abuse
- Proofreading mistakes – ortum harvest
- Diagnosis dilemma: second opinion succeeds