Plain-English editing and
helping you clarify your web and printed communications
- accreditation of your external documents with the Clear English Standard
- high-quality writing-skills courses for your staff
- a distance-learning course to improve every individual's writing skills
- accreditation of your website with the Clear English Standard (Winning Website) logo, and
- rapid, affordable editing of your internal and external documents.
We work for all kinds of organizations – government departments, financial services companies, registered social landlords, regulators, ombudsmen, local authorities, pension schemes, hospital trusts, utilities, telecom companies and international law firms. They like what we offer – a business-class service delivered by published authors and editors at a reasonable cost.
The company is managed by Martin Cutts, author of Lucid Law, the Plain English Lexicon and the Oxford Guide to Plain English.
You can sign up for Pikestaff, our occasional newsletter, free of charge through our ‘Publications’ page and download back issues there.
We support Clarity, the international body promoting plain legal language; and PLAIN (Plain Language Association INternational), a body of professionals who advocate clear public information.
Plain Language Commission is independent of the UK Government.
- BBC ‘making it clear’ in election coverage
- Green light for parking predators as appeal court rules against consumers
- Pikestaff 71 is available now
- Logging a clear chainsaw manual
- Private parking signs: sometimes so bad they’re criminal
- Activia jargon gives Danone corporate constipation
- Commons Speaker floats idea of dropping ‘honourable’ references but jargonauts fight back
- Plain-language conference presentations are now available
- Plain English Campaign Ltd removes false guarantee claims
JottingsEras of our Times
- Topping idea: don’t rely on the spellchecker
- Falling asleep on the job