Plain-English editing and
helping you clarify your web and printed communications
- accreditation of your external documents with the Clear English Standard
- high-quality writing-skills courses for your staff
- distance-learning courses to improve every individual's writing skills
- accreditation of your website with the Clear English Standard (Winning Website) logo, and
- rapid, affordable editing of your internal and external documents.
We work for all kinds of organizations – government departments, financial services companies, registered social landlords, regulators, ombudsmen, local authorities, pension schemes, hospital trusts, utilities, telecom companies and international law firms. They like what we offer – a business-class service delivered by published authors and editors at a reasonable cost.
The company is personally managed by Martin Cutts, author of ‘Lucid Law’ and the ‘Oxford Guide to Plain English’. Our people include Sarah Carr, Ruth Thornton, Christina Gleeson and Judy Brown.
You can sign up for Pikestaff, our regular newsletter, free of charge through our ‘Publications’ page and download back issues there.
We support Clarity, the international body promoting plain legal language; and PLAIN, the Plain Language Association INternational, a volunteer professional body that advocates clear public information.
Plain Language Commission is independent of the UK Government.
- Ellie Harrison breaks curse taboo
- Whitehall’s nudge unit shows there’s more to writing than being clear
- Rubbish from the High Peak
- Boots escape a kicking with that weasel word ANY
- Rarely audited, rarely inspected – no wonder private car parks are a rip-off
- Pikestaff 61 is out now
JottingsOsborne crime wreaks havoc at The Lady
- Grammar goes to pot after pots go to wife
- Phew, what a stickler
- Be Wiser Insurance, and other apostrophe crimes
- Different Stokes for different Foakes
- Memory key for cardinals, ordinals and nominals